An Inspired Vision, Then & Now
St. Paul's Home for the Aged began its service to the aged in the community in 1926 and continues today with faith and enthusiasm. During these 90 years, St. Paul's Home and Apartment Community has been a leader in the field of caring for the aged in Southern Illinois.
There are ten board members, seven from St. Paul United Church of Christ, one from Trinity United Church of Christ, one from Christ United Church of Christ, and one from the community. St. Paul's Home Foundation board is composed of members from the local area.
The history of St. Paul's Home is very much like the history of the Christian Church. It's a story of God answering prayers at critical periods and sincere Christians responding to the needs of their fellow men and women at the most opportune times.
As far back as 1918, some of the caring people in the congregation of what is now St. Paul United Church of Christ in Belleville were discussing the need for a home for older men and women.
One family in the congregation decided to step out and lead the way to a happy solution to this problem of providing a good home for the aged. Walter J. Kohl, a successful businessman in Belleville, and his wife, Bertha (nee Keil) Kohl, purchased the Adam Gintz home at 1021 West "E" Street in Belleville and gave it to St. Paul's Church to be used as a home for the aged of all faiths in the Belleville area. St. Paul's Home for the Aged was officially founded on August 22, 1926.
The good news of the generous gift spread through the community. Congregations in other churches, in fact the whole community, responded with moral support and substantial gifts to help to convert the Gintz residence to a home for the aged. On June 12, 1927 St. Paul's Home opened its doors to the first thirteen residents.
From the very first month of its existence, St. Paul's Home for the Aged was recognized by the people of the Belleville area as an idea whose time had come. In 1945, 1957, 1962, 1969, and 1981 additions were added to the original building. In 1987 a new apartment building was built and connected to the nursing home.
In 2005, St. Andrew’s Management Services joined the leadership team.
In June 2008, St. Paul’s Home became Medicare certified. This changed the licensure to 78 Skilled, 35 Intermediate, and 62 Shelter beds. This addition brought inpatient skilled rehabilitation services along and out-patient therapy, focusing on recuperation. Registered physical, occupational, speech therapist along with skilled nurses are available to assist residents in achieving maximum independence.
There has been a constant demand for services. In December 2013 construction started on a new household model nursing facility that will open in the spring of 2015. This will replace the outdated building with a wonderful new home. This setting is much like the original home, it has six households, and each is built with a hearth room, dining room, and kitchen along with a bedroom for each resident. These small households encourage relationships and allow more choices for the residents.
St. Paul’s Home, now known as St. Paul’s Senior Community, will continue to strive to provide a wide range of services to the elderly in a skilled and caring environment. Senior adults who have chosen St. Paul's Senior Community for retirement living have come from all over the area, including Belleville, O'Fallon, Fairview Heights, Cahokia, Smithton, Millstadt, Freeburg, Lebanon, Shiloh and other parts of St. Clair County, with some guests even moving here from out-of-state to be near their adult children. We are happy to welcome them all!